Thursday, May 1, 2008

Appalachian Trail Adventures Part I

I spent a few day hiking on the Appalachian Trail. I started in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. I started a day later than what I wanted to due to rain.
I met a lot of interesting people on the trail. Some of their stories you can't make up. I think the trail characters add to the charm and allure of the AT in general.
The trail has shelters spaced out about a days hike apart. They are 3 sided structures usually with a picnic table, fire ring, water source and a privy. Accomodations are spartan to say the least. But after all nobody expects 4 star accomodations in the woods.
After leaving Harpers Ferry I walked along the Potomac river on the old C & O canal towpath. The path runs 185 miles from Georgetown, DC to Cumberland, MD. The towpath is where mules use to pull barges up and down the river in days before the railroad. A lot of joggers and bikers use the path to exercise. It is a pretty walk along the river, but a little boring. I was glad to finish this portion of the trail and get into the 'woods'. The rest of the journey will follow in additional entries.

Unusual building style in Harpers Ferry
Hillside

A view of the Potomac river thru the trees.


View down river
Jefferson rock



No comments: